In this post, we will discuss mechanical engineer interview questions answers. These questions answers will help you in your interviews in every industry.
Commonly asked Mechanical engineer interview questions answers
Question1. Define the term critical speed.
Answer: The speed, at which the shaft runs so that the additional deflection of the shaft from the axis of rotation becomes infinite, is known as critical or whirling speed.
Question2. Under what circumstances, flexible couplings are used?
Answer: They are used to join the abutting ends of shafts when they are not in exact alignment. They are used to permit an axial misalignment of the shafts without under absorption of the power, which the shafts are transmitting.
Question 3.What are the purposes in machinery for which couplings are used?
Answer: Couplings are used
- To provide misalignment of the shafts or to introduce mechanical flexibility.
- To reduce the transmission of shock from one shaft to another.
- To provide the connection of shafts of units those are manufactured separately such as motor and generator and to provide for disconnection for repairs or alterations.
- To introduce protection against overload.
Question No.4 What stresses act on screw fastenings?
Answer: stresses act on screw fastenings are
- Initial stresses due to screwing up
- Stresses due to external forces
- Combined stresses.
Question No.5 What are the different applications of screwed fasteners?
Answer: The different applications of screwed fasteners are
- The parts can be rigidly connected.
- Used for transmitting power
- For readily connecting & disconnecting machine parts without damage.
Question No.6 Define pitch.
Answer: Pitch is defined as the distance from a point on one thread to the corresponding on the adjacent thread in the same axis plane.
Question No.7 Define lead.
Answer: Lead is defined as the distance, which a screw thread advances axially in one rotation of the nut.
Question No. 8 Define helical springs.
Answer: The helical springs are made up of a wire coiled in the form of a helix and are primarily intended for the compressive or tensile load.
Question No. 9 What are the different types of helical springs?
Answer: The different types of helical springs are
- Open coil helical spring
- Closed coil helical spring
Question No. 10. Define butt and lap joint.
Answer: Butt joint: The joint is made by welding the ends or edges of two plates.
Lap joint: The two plates are overlapping each other for a certain distance and then welded. Such welding is called fillet weld.
Follow us on: